Thursday, October 27, 2011

Touched

As the mom's of Carsen's pre-school class get our kids rushed into their room, we have smiles on our faces.  We are smiling because our baby's have grown up and are having their first halloween party at school!


Ay matey!  Carsen is a pirate this year and thinks it is HILARIOUS!  He laughed the whole way he walked into school, looking down at the crazy pants and chuckling out load!  I am not sure if he was thinking, "Man, is the flood coming?" or "Am I going to a circus?"  Who knows.  The outfit was $15.00 and just a tad short...but perfect!  I have never seen a pirate wear braces before and it was the cutest sight!!  Even Matt made sure to come to school and see Carsen all dressed up with his friends.

While rushing to and from work to pick up Carsen on time, it hits me.  I am available for my child and my life is actually working out!  I am a part-time RN and absolutely love my schedule!  When we decided to put Carsen in daycare full-time (another long post) I pondered if going back to work full-time was a good option or not.  But, today, when I picked him up, a little girl in a lady bug costume looked at me and said, "Why are you helping him?"   As I struggled to keep Carsen upright in his walker, and myself upright while doing so in high heel shoes, I simply stated,  "Because I am his mom!"  She was silent.  I thought it was a pretty good answer.  That is why I give most days all of my effort.  Because I am his mom.  I was so proud to tell her that he was my son and that I do everything for him.  Proud to be available to Carsen and honored to be his mom.  My schedule is working out just right because I was the one that got to answer to that little girl, not some stranger helping Carsen.  I am his mom and I love it! 

Speaking of the darnest things kids say, I have to share a facebook inbox post I received a few weeks ago.  I am so touched by the kind hearts children have.  This is what the message read...

Hey kelly,
I just got done reading bits and pieces of your blog. It is truly Amazing. Isaac asked the other day, "Mom, Remember that boy at the RFC. he didnt walk or talk but he had a huge smile." I said yes and pulled up a picture of him on your Facebook page. He said "yeah that's him." Then he asked why he didnt walk. Before I could even answer he said "God made him that way. But he did talk to me that day with his eyes and face." What a 4 year old says really makes you sit and think how truly parents are to have such great children. I have been thinking of you and your family a lot.  I just wanted to let you know you have an amazing family and such great little man in your life. Isaac who is now 4 even remembered after meeting him for a short time. Truly Amazing. Isaac even said "I think he should come and play at our house." Thank you for being so inspirational to all of us moms out there and to my little boy. Enjoy him and your family! I know I would not change being home with my kids for anything (even with those moment of insanity)
Thanks again,
Meredith


I am so grateful for messages like this.  I have been getting a lot of these lately.  I enjoy every positive message we get.  It then inspires me in return to be an even better mom.  I have filled my life with two amazing moms that have helped encourage me to be better at serving vegetables, doing crafts, reading books and the small details that make all the difference.  If I can be encouraged by other moms and I can inspire moms, then our children are gonna be pretty awesome!

One last thought...

I reflect a lot on how I can make things easier for Carsen.  At this moment in his life, kids are the key to his happiness.  The children that give him hugs, say hello and visit with him are what is motivating him.   Why are kids so innocent ? And just how do they know that when a child is nonverbal, there is a possiblity that they are speaking with their eyes and smile?  How did Isaac know that God made him that way?  Kids are so brilliant and I think a lot of us can learn from the things they say.  I am so thankful and so inspired by Isaac's comments.  He is too little to understand how much it means to me that he bonded with Carsen.  They have only seen eachother for such a short time.  Carsen was noticed in a positive way.  We get a lot of looks while walking into school.  Mostly because they are all curious.  I don't feel like they are judging me.  They are just trying to understand what is different.  What they don't know, is that I am paying close attention and trying to figure out how to touch their souls.

Now, that is the fun part of life!

6 comments:

  1. What a happy post! And how cute is Carsen in his pirate costume?! So funny that even he got a happy chuckle out of the way he looked.

    This line I love: "What they don't know, is that I am paying close attention and trying to figure out how to touch their souls." This is so true of you Kelly. I admire the way you notice kids and give them your attention. In a world that's so hectic and doesn't value the innocence of children, this trait of yours is very inspirational to me and so appreciated by the kids you come in contact with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto to Cassie! (I can't write as well as you two so I am just saying ditto.)

    I LOVE Carsen's costume and love that he laughed the whole way in. He is the cutest pirate I have ever seen!

    I am so happy you are proud that you are Carsen's Mom! He is so lucky to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Gosh! His COSTUME?!?!?!?! Cutest pirate ever! I love that he giggled at himself in those pants! Too too cute! But wait, where is his eye patch?
    Children are so amazing, they are way too smart!
    I am so glad we have Carsen in our lives, because when we see a little boy like him, we won't be shy to talk to him! He has taught us all so much! Cohen is lucky to have Carsen in his life too. He will learn so much from Carsen too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So awesome, Kelly! I just don't even know what else to say.

    Has it really been a year since we've seen you guys? Carsen looks sooooo big!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kelly...I absolutely love your blogs on Carsen. He is such a wonderful child! You are so blessed. He makes your life complete. God gave you a very special child. I love to look at all of the photos you have of Carsen and in most of them he's telling you, "Mom, I'm so happy!"

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the comment "I am paying close attention and trying to figure out how to touch their souls."
    I love even more the fact that you have no idea that, just by watching you and seeing that you are so in love with Carsen and so proud of him, that you have already touched their soul!

    ReplyDelete