Wednesday, September 8, 2010

An Old House

I am awake.  It is 3:36 A.M.  Unable to sleep. Why can’t I sleep? I have been awake every night for the past 2 weeks, unknowing what is wrong with my child in the middle of the night. Matt lays our soft, sweet little boy next to me in bed, and for once, he is sleeping and wants to cuddle. Why can’t I sleep? All that comes to my mind is an old house.

Carsen started to watch cartoons. What a blessing! Sesame street was teaching the four seasons. Sounds simple, but how do I teach my son the amazing 4 seasons? How will he learn this? How did I learn this?

There are comforting noises in our house.  Why is the noise of a running toilet comforting? Why is the noise of the hard wood floor creaking comforting? The old house! There is an old house only a few miles from me that has kept me up tonight. Why?

It brings me back to my flower, dark navy wallpaper. I was told this week that is has all come down. My shelf with my favorite pictures has gone away. They took it away!! My memories, my childhood, my comfort! When I think of my room, I remember the noises of the toilet water running, floors creaking, hollow doors being knocked on, old telephones ringing, mom laughing, dad visiting with mom, the fireplace screeching, piano music (how I miss this and am thankful for Pandora) the sound of feet running across the floor, Mark's giggles, Ryan’s laugh, Katie’s gentle voice, a basketball game in the basement, the garage door opening, constantly. What a busy house…and it is busy with four new kids!

I thought, this is how I learned my seasons. I recall Fall time.  My dad taught me that. How did he do it?? The smell of his hunting clothes, the sound of the gun in a distance and the noise of the dog barking outside. Winter. The howling winds through my window, the warm food mom has made everynight, the smell of chlorine in my hair. Spring and Summer remind me of the smells of fresh cut grass and our family spashing in the pool.

There are memories of an old house that keep me up at night. What is it about a childhood that keeps an exhausted mother, wife and nurse up in the middle of the night? What smells or thoughts will Carsen remember? This is how I will teach my son that has difficulty learning. My actions, the food I make, my laugh, Matt’s voice, the music played, the noise of his wave machine, the sound of the heat kicking in and the sounds of our prayers, .

Although that house has been redone, my childhood memories and past cannot be taken away! How I miss my family. Look at what God has done in my life. I am blessed.

What a powerful old house! Now, let me sleep!!

8 comments:

  1. Wow, Kelly. WOW! This is awesome. I am so proud of you for starting a blog! Can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears in my eyes Kelly! "My actions, the food I make, my laugh, Matt’s voice, the music played, the noise of his wave machine, the sound of the heat kicking in and the sounds of our prayers" I love the whole second to last paragraph, but that line is my favorite! You've learned to see life in a different way, a way we all take for granted. It's the simple things we all remember most and treasure the most. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey cass and jess...you two are the ones that have motivated me! thank you for reading!! it is fun to see that i have "followers"! it will be fun to keep updated with things i dont put on facebook! have a good (rainy) day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelly~

    You have done a great job with Carsen's blog. I love reading about your family as it reminds me of what life is all about!! Carsen is turning into quite the little boy from when last I saw him!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! I'm so glad we get to keep up with you this way! Can I add you to my list of blogs, too?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing blog! You have been talking about making a blog for a while and I am so proud that you are doing it. The "Welcome to Holland" story made me a little teary, thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kelly my name is Kari, I was given your name from one of your friends, Kalee. My husband and I have a daughter with cerebral palsey, severe mental retardation and epilepsy. Reading this instantly brought me to tears. These children are so special, I cant even explain how we feel about our little Kalee. I often catch myself just staring at her and the things she is capable of doing or when she is sleeping i just watch her. When she looks into our eyes you can just see the love that she is feeling. I often wonder WHY? Why does she have to be this way? Why did god choose us to care for this precious gift? I know that god will never give you more than what you can handle! Reading this blog, tells me that there are other people out there in a similiar situation like ourselves. This situation is tough and we have to sacrafice so many things in life because of having a child with special needs. We are not out there asking for pity, we are asking for respect, understanding and support.

    Thank you for the story of your little angel.

    God Bless

    The Gruwell's

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, I am so glad Heidi told me about your blog. It is amazing. I am stunned, inspired, motivated, and refreshed. You are an AMAZING mother, I can just tell. Matt and Carsen are both so blessed to have you in their lives! Thank you so much for sharing your story, I think of you often....keep up the good work mama!

    ReplyDelete