Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Practice Makes Perfect

When I was growing up, I heard, "Practice makes perfect!"  My family was always busy running from sport to sport.  Lately, I wonder how my mother ever got anything done.  Sometimes I feel as if I have the crazy schedule she had raising four busy kids.  With any sport, we had to practice.  A lot!  Now, that Carsen is transitioning into preschool, I try to reflect on what worked best for my family when I was growing up.  Our list of to do's for preschool are somewhat larger than most kids preparing for their first day.  So, we make sure we are organized and ready.  We are practicing walking from the car to Carsen's classroom.  I am learning that our worries for preschool are not the typical worries.  I am glad we have been practicing because we found out that the newly waxed floor was so slippery that Carsen could basically slide to his classroom.  With a lot of changes to his wheels on his gait trainer, I think we are ready for walking.


Carsen leaves me in the dust.  I know he is thinking, "Come on Mom!"

His new Nike Shox were a great addition to his braces and walker. 

Carsen loved watching all the people run into and out of the school.


His face says it all.  This school is huge and it is going to take a lot of practice to get around those hallways!

I never thought he would do it, but he has learned to keep his hands down on the handles and push his way forward.  I am so proud of this! 

This button is a life saver for mom's like me!  I already taught Carsen how to use it and he is great at getting the door open all by himself!


I never in my life expected him to do this well.  See the florescent lights?  Follow them ALL the way back to the door opening.  That is where Carsen's classroom is at, called Pod A.  Carsen made it from the car, across the road, to the front doors, to Pod A, then Pod B, Then Pod C, Then Pod D,  by the library and ALL the way back to the car.  Proud mama?  You better believe it!!!


Happy little preschooler ready for school?  Of course!!!


Curious Carsen loving every noise, light, child, teacher, and step in that school!


We are very excited for preschool.  Deep down I believe that Carsen is ready for this next step and so am I.  Sure, we have a lot of details that we still need to figure out but by practicing our visits at the school once a week, I feel good about just the walking part of school. 

One of the kind janitors at the school let Carsen and I see his classroom.  He opened the door and let us get comfortable in his room with no one else around.  Just the two of us.



He sat in a cute little chair and took it all in. 


Not only will Carsen be learning, but I will be too.  I am learning to put trust in God, trust in his teacher, trust in his para and to trust my instincts.  Life is hard.  We will have good days and bad days.  Most of them will be good.  Some of them will be hard.  I am learning to dig deep and focus on being the best advocate for Carsen I can be.  I pray for patience more than anything these days.  Most importantly I am thankful for Carsen's gait trainer so he is able to walk around school.  Inbetween all our differences and tears we are thankful and feel like the luckiest parents to have such an awesome little boy!  A preschooler!








5 comments:

  1. I had chills reading this whole thing…. What a big boy! He looks sooooo old!!! He is going to love preschool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These photos are such a great documentary of this next big step for you guys! I adore the photo of his hands with his friendship bracelette holding the handles of his gait trainer. And I like all the lines in the verticle hallway shots!

    I can only imagine what this transition is like for you and Carsen, but as always, you both shine through the uncertainty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a proud Auntie!!!!! These pictures brought tears and laughter! Of course I LOVE seeing him in a school setting with books and little chairs...I just wish I could be the LUCKY teacher! They have no idea how much they are going to love Carsen! He will change their life forever as he has changed mine. Love him more than words can say!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made me cry, Kelly! Precious little guy and precious memories of his first trip to school! His smile is priceless. So glad you are documenting all of this because it seems like they grow up too fast, don't they? :) Katie Matzke

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great job Carsen! And kudos to you too for holding it together (for now, at least:)). I was tearing up this week after seeing all the school buses and just thinking that Abby will be riding one soon... where did the last 3 years go??

    And... I'm having trouble commenting on your blog. No idea why. Hence the "anonymous" post.

    --Kalee

    ReplyDelete