Tuesday, January 4, 2011

How did they do it?

My parents are amazing!

My twin sister and I were born to the most wonderful family!  We had a big brother who had just turned two.  Then 3 years later another brother.  Can you imagine having a two year old and then infant twins? Not to mention twin GIRLS! 

That just screamssssssssssssssss DRAMA!

I was driving back from the gym with Carsen and I looked at the temperature, it read, -14 degrees.  (not windchill)

I thought,  "What made me even think that Carsen and I should have ventured out in icey roads with chilled to the bone temperatures?"

My amazing parents came to mind. 

How is it that I was determined to pack up my floppy son, his gait trainer and drag my sorry butt out of the house?  We had just completed 50 mins of therapy at home and  I finally caught that dreaded, miserable cold everyone is talking about.  Why did we go workout?

I guess I felt determined to push Carsen.  I felt like he was worth every miserable moment that my head felt at that time.  I was sure glad we went, you should have seen that smile while he had the gym all to himself!





I am so thankful my parents pushed and disciplined us. 

I remember many days that my mom drove us to the tiger sharks swim team practice daily and for many many years.  Do you think we wanted to go a lot of those cold days?  Do you think SHE wanted to get out many of those days? 

I remember 7 days a week for 6 years, my Dad pushed my sister and I to run.  We ran all year round, even in the snow.  Saturday mornings we were up doing farleks with the team then Sunday doing another 5 mile run. 

We were taught to push ourselves.
We learned that determination pays off.
We were disciplined and are able to respect.

I stuggle with children who do not have parents that encourage and discipline them.  My heart breaks for some children and parents.  Determination and discipline are a huge part of my everyday life.  I wish more people were blessed with the parents I had to teach me the MOST important tools I need with this life God had given me.

I am blessed even beyond my control...I was taught the TOOLS for life!  Wow, what amazing parents I have. 

When I was little, they didn't know that I would be a mother of a son with CP.  They didn't know how badly I was going to need the ablity to be determined beyond what I wanted.  They didn't know I would have my son in therapy 2-3 times a week.  They didn't know I would be making difficult decision's regarding my son's medical needs and making CONSTANT appointments.  They had no idea I would need to have the patientce to put more children on hold.  They had NO idea that I would have this life placed in front of me, I needed to live it, learn from it and enjoy it!

I am determined...and we are on a mission...thanks to my Mom and Dad!




4 comments:

  1. wow, Kelly...powerful post. I've often thought some of these same things about you and your parents...how God knew you would need to a driven person. Great thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great thoughts, and great encouragement to parents who are raising little ones right now, too. Who knows what our children may need to be able to handle someday? It's an incredible responsibility to be the ones responsible for preparing them to handle whatever their lives end up looking like. Wow - thanks for the encouragement on a day where we haven't been out of the house in 7 days, and we're recovering from nasty-awful colds (slowly).

    ReplyDelete
  3. You ARE one of the most determined parents I have ever met! Carsen is such a lucky little boy :)

    ReplyDelete